Tuesday, April 3, 2012

1940 Census- Day 2

As I'm sure you've heard by now, the demand for the 1940 census images was unprecedented.  I was finally able to get onto the NARA site this morning about 6 a.m. and before long had found my dad and his grandparents.  I was disappointed to see that the enumerator hadn't designated the informant...but I'm pretty sure it was my great grandmother Della.  She was a take charge kind of gal and I can't imagine she would trust anyone else to give the correct information!

This evening I downloaded my first batch of indexing from FamilySearch.  They uploaded the Oklahoma images today so I got to start with my home state...Adair County.  I don't have any family in that county but the very first name on the page was Virginia (coincidentally, my mother's first name) and I took that as a good sign!  The indexing itself was very easy to do and a lot less complicated than I had anticipated.  If you haven't volunteered for the indexing project yet, take yourself over to https://the1940census.com and sign up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...