Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Switching Gears



Was last week exciting or what?  Like Christmas morning for genealogists!  So far, with the help of Steve Morse, I've found my parents and most of my grandparents and great grandparents (that were still living in 1940) in the newly released census.  No famous people in my tree yet but over on the 1940 Census blog they have found Jimmy Hoffa!
 I still have people to find but now its time to switch gears.    As much as I love Steve Morse and the National Archives, I don't want to be dependent on them forever.  What I need is an index.  I guess I could wait until the big subscription sites get around to it but I absolutely HATE waiting on someone else's schedule.  So instead I've volunteered to help with the indexing myself.  Luckily for me, Oklahoma is one of the states ready for indexing so I get to work on my home state.  Since I've lived in Oklahoma my entire life, I'm hopefully more familiar with some of the unusual Indian place names which is helpful when you are trying to decipher an enumerators handwriting!  Anyway, the indexing process is much easier than I thought it would be and is actually kind of fun.  Check out the posts on the 1940 blog.  There are several posts about indexing including training videos and links for signing up.  You can subscribe to their RSS feed too for the latest updates.  I would love to hear how you're doing...leave a comment on the 1940 blog (or here) or send out a tweet!
Maybe you won't find Jimmy Hoffa but who knows who's lurking in those pages?


Disclosure: As part of the1940census.com ambassador program this blog post enters me into a drawing for prizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...