Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Countdown to RootsTech 2013!



One week from today I'll be leaving on a jet plane to Salt Lake City for RootsTech 2013! My brain is on overload with the details.  It's inevitable that I will forget something! I don't travel that often and while I'm not afraid to fly, negotiating airports, suitcases, shuttle services, hotels...its all a little nerve-wracking. This year I'll have the added fun of changing planes in Denver. If all goes well I will arrive in SLC on Tuesday and have all day Wednesday to spend at the Family History Library.

Last year was my first time at RootsTech and  also my first-ever genealogy conference. I had a great time but there are a few things I'd like to do differently this time.
  • Allow more time for personal research in the Family History Library. How often do I get to SLC? Uh, that would be hardly ever. Last year I attended the Friday Night at the Library event but that wasn't nearly enough time. And by Friday night I was already exhausted from the day. This year I will (hopefully) arrive on Tuesday evening, get a good night's sleep and be rested and ready to spend Wed in the library.
  • Lighten the technology load  Last year I brought a borrowed laptop to the conference. Didn't think it would be that big a deal. Wow, did that thing get heavy! Lugging it through the airport was a nightmare.  This year I have my new iPad. I'm going to miss the wired data capability but allowances must be made.
  • Choose classes by speaker, as well as content. There are so many sessions to choose from! I want to go to all of them! Since I can't be in two places at once. I'm looking at the speakers as well as the content. Some of my favorite bloggers are presenting this year and I'm looking forward to hearing what they have to say. Lisa Alzo's presentations are always excellent. Denise Barrett Olson of Moutrie Creek Gazette is another blogger whose brain I would love to pick.
  • Spend more time in the Expo Hall and Media Hub getting to know people. Skip classes if necessary. One of the best things about a national conference is all the networking opportunities.  As an official blogger I will again have access to the Media Hub (which could also be named the Blogger Hub) and I met a lot of interesting people. Just wandering around the Expo Hall is an education in itself. And this year it will be 40% bigger.  So many booths, so little time.
  • Learn to use TRAXTrax is SLC's light rail service. Blocks in downtown Salt Lake City are twice the size of blocks in any other city I've been to. Last year I injured my ankle just before the conference and spent the whole time hobbling around in a boot.  This year my ankle is fine but my other leg is not.  (What is it about RootsTech that makes my body rebel? )  Walking takes a lot of energy and I'm looking for shortcuts.
If you haven't registered for RootsTech there is still time.  You have until Mar. 15 to get the discounted price of $179 for a full three day pass.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions! I'm looking forward to my first trip to Salt Lake City, so the library and RootsTech suggestions are desperately needed! I also have a walking disability, so those hints about TRAX are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather! Let's try to meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great suggestions, Nancy! I'm also planning to arrive Tuesday to get in an extra day at the FHL. I know there is never enough time to do it all, but I'm going to try. Looking forward to meeting you in SLC.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...